Monday, September 14, 2015

Lots of Happy Things Here - Sept 14

So I would love to be able to blame not posting in so long on the fact that we've been busy with back to school stuff....but that wouldn't be completely truthful :)

So here's what's happened in the last 3 weeks:

If I had posted on August 27, I would have talked about how awesome you did in your new boots the first week and how being in the leg braces at night didn't even phase you! They had initially told us we might have to wean you in a couple of hours a night, but you took to them with no problems and didn't even move the first night they were on!



I would also have talked about how hilarious your face looked when you got to the top of the stairs and realized that there was a gate in your way now...you were not pleased. But it has turned into a fun game of throwing balls down the stairs and watching them bounce ally the way down.



The last thing I would have talked about is finding a super cute Halloween costume for you, but I wouldn't have said what it was :)

If I had posted the next week, on September 3, I would have talked about how you don't like throwing things down the stairs as much anymore because your therapists made it into a standing "game" that you don't enjoy near as much! I also would have complained a little bit about how BIG you look standing at the top of the stairs!!!



I probably would have also mentioned how much you have enjoyed your new found freedom to "roam" the upstairs and how gracious Sisters have been in letting you explore their rooms (for the most part)


Last Thursday, I would have talked about how we had to take you in for you 18 month appointment (only a few months late...) because I had to talk to the doctor about something and realized that we never scheduled your 18 month appointment because your doctor was out of town, and then we were, and then she was.... and how unhappy you were with the two shots you got. We were also finally able to really talk to the doctor about your allergy test results from June. Your overall allergy indicator was normal (meaning no allergies) but you have a slightly elevated (2 out of 6) indicator for cow's milk and egg whites. Confusing test results for you? Shocker. So your pediatrician would like for me to talk to your nutritionist and GI doctor about switching you off of the PediaSure (yay! and nooooo more changes!) onto something that has no milk in it. Her thought is that there are several things that might clear up with this: 1) I was never on a dairy free diet when I was pumping, then you went straight to whole milk then onto 2% because it upset your stomach so much... switching to something with no milk whatsoever could help clear up the constipation issues you've always had. 2) You've had a perpetual rash around your g-button and bottom that could potentially be caused by the milk allergy; and 3) since it's such a slight allergy, it could be contributing to the amount of phlegm you've always had. We shall see.

But I would have countered all that news with the fact that your leg braces are already making a huge difference - we had to adjust your stander because there is already a difference in how straight your legs are! I would have posted this picture that shows you standing BY YOURSELF and talked about how excited we were that you stood for almost an entire minute before you realized no one was holding you up!


I also would have talked about getting the most exciting phone call on Friday - your gait trainer was ready!!! And how that was perfect timing, because we had already made plans for Grandpa to come help us turn our front "garden" into more of a patio so you could join us in our inclined front yard without having to worry about you rolling down the driveway!



I would have also talked about how excited you were when the gait trainer actually got here!!! And how quickly you took to it... kind of. You were not wanting to get in it at first, and then you slammed your feet down like you were stomping and it made you move. You froze. Then got a big smile like you remembered what this was for!!!


But then about 15 minutes later you were an old pro at it :)


You've done really well - you've stayed in it about 30 minutes each day since we got it before you start getting tired of it.

I also would have talked about how nervous I was about your sleep study that night since you had been congested and coughing for a little over two weeks. It's almost like you knew that it was time for another sleep study and got sick... Maybe I would have even waited until Friday so I could post this picture of you and talk about how much more patient you were with the sleep lab tech in getting everything hooked up, and how it didn't take them nearly as long this year. But then I also would have had to mention that I had NO IDEA how the results were going to turn out because you kept coughing stuff up out of your trach and into one of the sensors so they had to wake you up every hour to change it and you did NOT like that; and how I was not looking forward to waiting a week to find out the results.


So that's what all I would have said if I had written each of those posts...Why am I posting today you might ask? Because today your pulminologist called. She is usually the one that gets to deliver the bad news (She has an underdeveloped lung; she needs a trach; she'll be going home with the vent; her sleep study results were invalid/ inconclusive/ confusing/ really terrible...) so she wanted to call and give us some GOOD NEWS:

Your sleep study went REALLY WELL! They want us to reduce the size of your trach again, go back to capping it at night and being OFF THE VENT, and that the sleep doctor has reserved a spot on the October schedule to repeat the study with the trach capped off to verify that the results from the June sleep study were a fluke and that you're ready to be off the vent and the trach come out!

I am SO glad she didn't make us wait until Thursday to find all of that out :) Sisters and I decided to celebrate when I picked them up from school!


So now this Thursday I can give some good news from them, and hopefully some good news from your weight check and visit with the nutritionist about the allergy issue.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! That's our Lexi Girl! Confusing test results, mastering new things with little objection, keeping us all guessing what she's going to do next ♡ Fantastic News Mama Moseley ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete